ADSM-L

Re: Backup a BIG Sap installation

2001-06-12 01:40:31
Subject: Re: Backup a BIG Sap installation
From: Rolf Meyer <rolf.meyer AT SUBNET DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:29:31 +0200
Hallo,

we backup nearly twenty SAP DBs with TSM 4.1 and SQL Backtrack from BMC. Our
biggest DB is now around 450 GB. We use 3590 drives (FC connected to a SUN
E450). The network interface is a dedicated switched gigabit ethernet for all
SAP DB server.

Our experiences are: With two streams and SQL BT compression we backup 450 GB
in 2 hours 20 minutes. Due to the lack of more drives we cannot use four
streams in production, which would use all the network bandwith we have and
reduce the backup time to a bit more than 1 hour. Compression rate is nearly
70 % (SAP DBs have a lot of unused space in it). We saw transmission rates of
nearly 35 MB/s (so 100% drive speed).

Herzliche Gruesse / Many greetings

Info Business Systems GmbH
Rolf Meyer