ADSM-L

Re: TSM on OS/390

2001-06-11 12:09:58
Subject: Re: TSM on OS/390
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:01:53 -0400
Quoting Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM>:

> I am currently running TSM v3.7.4.0 on AIX and would like to migrate
> it to OS/390.
>
> The server currently has 200 nodes (IBM AIX, HP-UX, Novell Netware 4 &
> 5, Microsoft Windows NT) registered and our schedules start at 20:00
> and finish by 06:00.  The total storage is 2.8TB.
>
> The mainframe is an ES-9000 (9672-R34) and using VTS system for
> storage.

We have a mainframe server with a VTS. We initially used it as the
primary repository for on-site backups. This proved to be very painful
because ADSM wanted to append data to large numbers of virtual volumes
every night. We did not have a big enough disk cache to keep all of
the filling volumes in the cache, so we got lots of physical mount
requests in order to copy filling virtual volumes from physical 3590
volumes to the disk cache. Some virtual volume mounts took as long as
45 minutes because of contention for physical tape drives. We ended up
using the VTS mostly as a strange kind of disk storage pool, sending
backups there initially and migrating them to a native 3590 storage
pool within a few hours.

> What I'd like to know is what overhead to expect on the OS/390 or how
> to figure out if I'm going to have to upgrade the system?

I don't have the details of the performance analysis my co-workers did
at my fingertips. I do know that the ADSM or TSM server as such was only
part of the issue. When we started, the TCP/IP address space supporting
the server generated about as much CPU activity as the server itself. I
think the TCP/IP address spaces have become somewhat less CPU-intensive
as we have upgraded to newer releases of OS/390.

> Also, should we create a new image for TSM?

Very likely, if only because of incompatible maintenance windows. Our
production OS/390 image has a maintenance window that starts at 1:00
AM, right in the middle of the peak activity period for the TSM server.
Our TSM server runs on a software development image, where both the
developers and the TSM clients can live with a maintenance window
starting at 5:30 PM. I would have prefered an image dedicated to the
TSM server, but our mainframe doesn't have the real memory for that
and the current crop of OS/390 images.

> What are licensing issues for this migration?

The TSM 3.7 server on OS/390 believes whatever you tell it about what
you are licensed for. As far as I can tell from the manuals, the same
is true of the TSM 4.1 server for OS/390. This is nice, because you
don't have to worry about not being able to do backups because of
administrative foul-ups or bugs in license management software.

The OS/390 server is unusual in that it can be licensed on either a
lump sum purchase or monthly lease basis. Plan on getting the run-around
from a succession of marketeers before you're done, especially if you
opt for monthly charge licensing.