ADSM-L

Re: Wouldn't it be nice if...

2001-06-04 17:47:09
Subject: Re: Wouldn't it be nice if...
From: PETER GRIFFIN <PETER.GRIFFIN AT SYDNEYWATER.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:47:39 +1000
The remote mirroring of the 'disk based' data can be done via products such as
EMC SRDF, IBM's PPRC etc. Therefore, in the case of a disaster at your primary
site, the remotely mirrored volumes would onlu require  their designation
updated so they become the primary volumes and you are backup and running in a
matter of minutes.

This method can be expanded to so that the boot image of you TSM also resides
on the 'external disk' and is also remotely mirrored. Therefore a desginated
'dr server' would by default be exactly the same as the primary.

This only leaves the need to create remote copy pools. Plenty of options there
including dropping tape altogether especially as the size of disk drives
increases (181Gb drives are out now so whats next?) and they continue to get
cheaper

Peter Griffin
Sydney Water

>>> jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM 06/05/01 12:56am >>>
Christo,

I would definitely like to have that same capability, but I'd prefer that my
mirrored server be offsite somewhere.  We have a Distribution Center that is
about 20 miles from our Data Center.  I'd really like it to be there.

In my spare time (what's that?), I'm looking into possibilities, but I
haven't gotten very far.  I'd be interested in your findings, and I will
share mine as well.

Thank you,

Jeff Caffey
Enterprise Systems Programmer
(AIX & Storage Administrator)
Pier 1 imports, Inc.  -  Information Services
jlcaffey AT pier1 DOT com
Voice: (817) 252-6222