ADSM-L

Wouldn't it be nice if...

2001-06-04 06:13:20
Subject: Wouldn't it be nice if...
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:19:33 +0200
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have the requirement to mirror/replicate the Tsm server. I'm
not just talking about on the same machine as in when you create mirrors of
db and log volumes but a server geographically seperate from the production
Tsm server.
Surely development must have thought of the requirement - not just for high
availability but also for doing DR tests on some of the clients from your
replicated TSM db. Quite a few of us are sitting with Tsm databases in
excess of 25Gig. When you have a catastrophic disaster where your TSM server
is dead you need to restore the DB from your off-site tapes. On a 20Gig or
bigger database you are going to have at least 3 hours downtime before being
able to start restoring some of your clients that were located in the same
place as your Tsm server. If you had a replicated Tsm server - all you had
to do is point the dead clients and start restores off the DR Tsm server.
This would at least save 3 hours or more apart from the added bonus of
having a proper TSM DR server ready willing and able to receive restore
requests at a moments notice...

Does this make sense to others on the list or do you think my requirement
are unique?

Cheers
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank