ADSM-L

Re: Reboot during NT client upgrade

2001-05-31 13:25:56
Subject: Re: Reboot during NT client upgrade
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:26:50 -0400
I've found that reboots in order to proceed with the install have been
necessary on around 1/3 to 1/2 of the NT boxes I've done. It's definitely
related to the Installer, possibly whether it's been used before or not.
Just curious, why the push to upgrade, other than support (and that d**n DST
bug!)?

David Longo wrote:

> I think the best bet is to plan for reboot on ALL these systems.
>
> One of my methods on these systems BTW is to totally delete old version(s)
> and then install new versions, saving dsm.opt of course.  I find that in many
> cases there may be two *SM versions on system and some other misc stuff, so
> this gets me to a "clean" state.

> My site is about to upgrade its Windows NT client systems to 4.1.2.12.
> We are starting with the ones that currently have 3.1.0.6 client code,
> and will subsequently upgrade the ones with various service levels of
> the 3.7 code. We currently have to plan every upgrade to allow for the
> possibility of rebooting the client. One of the Windows NT administrators
> has observed that life would be a lot easier if we could predict in
> advance whether the client upgrade on a specific system would require
> a reboot or not. Is there any way to do this?
>
> "MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
>  annotations on 05/31/01 11:47:17
> This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
> confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
> confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
> you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
> copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the
> sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
> print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
> recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
> communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this
> message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
> message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
> and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.

Jim Kirkman
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems
UNC-Chapel Hill