ADSM-L

Re: backing up DBs from filesystems

2001-05-31 11:55:14
Subject: Re: backing up DBs from filesystems
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:56:03 -5
This is exactly how we backup our more than 200 Oracle databases.  We
have a script (actually, a rather large suite of scripts) that create
the backup in a a staging area on the db server.  The backup is
completely contained under a directory that contains the db name,
date, time, type (hot/cold), etc.  TSM them come in and backs up the
staging area, as well as log files and other stuff.  Our use a
management class with 2 versions exists, 1 deleted, 1 retain extra,
and 90 retain only.  Basically, were not interested in anything but
the most recent version, and, when it's deleted we keep it around for
90 days.  Yes, if the backup fails for some reason there's a backup
in TSM that's bad.  The scripts do extensive logging so we can tell
how/if it worked.  In general, backups have so little problem I can't
remember the last time a Oracle hot failed.

Rick