ADSM-L

Re: TSM configuration questions

2001-05-25 11:33:05
Subject: Re: TSM configuration questions
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:20:30 -0500
Look at your library, look at your D/R recovery requirements -- and look at
scripting.

Your D/R requirements should drive what you do.

Also (and I've seen a lot of this on the list) *don't* try to warp the
backup logic of *SM to do something that should be done via archiving. If
you need to keep something for X days, no matter how many times you run the
backup - set it up as an archive pool with a 14-day retention.

Our D/R plan calls for *buying* replacement file servers, for example - so I
do not colocate my NT backups, I just have one big pool. However, we need to
restore the two MS-Exchange servers within 24 hours, and have servers
reserved at the hot-site for this. So I have a seperate pool for
MS-Exchange, and it is co-located so we can restore both servers at the same
time.

We have a seperate pool for our SAP production backups (archives), so that
the restore of SAP is not held up by anything else. I've two seperate pools
for the SAP redo logs (disk, tape, and copy) as they're all coming from one
node and I want to keep them seperate, so I don't loose both sets of redo
logs on the same tape error.

I have development systems that are populated periodically from the
production environment. I don't want to take the time to make off-site
copies of the data, so these go to yet another archive pool (the system
files go on the normal AIX incrementals and go off-site daily).

I've a number of scripts I use to handle checkin, checkout, and copying
data, all based on a perl module written quite a while ago by Owen Crow.

My biggest problem was sizing and setting up the assorted disk pools that
front-end all the tape pools . . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc