ADSM-L

Who is still keeping Y2K backups and how long to you intend to keep them?

2001-05-22 20:08:26
Subject: Who is still keeping Y2K backups and how long to you intend to keep them?
From: PETER GRIFFIN <PETER.GRIFFIN AT SYDNEYWATER.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:08:40 +1000
It appears to me that there is a large amount of Y2K backup data being stored,
not only in the TSM environment but for just about everything.

My guess is prior to Y2K,  the powers that be set a long retention policy based
on the risk of post Y2K litigation.

Gifted with hind-sight, the apocalypse never occurred and as far as I am aware
litigation has not eventuated therefore the long retention of the backups
possibly is not justified.

I am interested in opinions and policy on the retention of this data.

For the record, I would like to get rid of them now.

Peter Griffin