ADSM-L

Re: Migrating to a 3466 C01

2001-05-18 08:47:33
Subject: Re: Migrating to a 3466 C01
From: Jeff Bach <jdbach AT WAL-MART DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 07:48:20 -0500
        the import/export feature takes a long long time.  Possible faster
ways are below.

        To Migrate to a new ATL, I would connection the ATL to the current
system, setup a new device class and storage pools and migrate the data by
either changing the next storage pools of the old tape storage pool to be
the new tape storage pools, or by using move data to move the data back to
the disk storage pool that will automatically migrate to the correct new
storage pool

        To move to a new server:
        If the move includes moving to a new server and you can't move the
internal disk,
        Does the new server have an array that can be temporarily connected
to the old server?
                        If it does, connect it, make a third copy of your
database on the array, deactivate and export the volume group (which has to
be just the array), delete database copy 1 and add another database copy,
then delete DB copy 1 (the last originally)
        Providing that the OS and hardware are close enough to export and
import a VG from one to another.

        OR test your bare metal restore procedures for the ADSM server when
you recover it onto the new server hardware.  (after the data migration to
the new ATL)

Jeff Bach
Home Office Open Systems Engineering
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.