ADSM-L

The Future of ACSLS Libraries

2001-05-12 06:04:00
Subject: The Future of ACSLS Libraries
From: "Vint A. Maggs" <vintmaggs AT KNOLOGY DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:16:17 -0400
I am planning the upgrade of my TSM 3.7.0 servers (Solaris 2.7) to TSM 4.1.3.
While reading the TSM4130S_Sun.README file I came across a disturbing
pronouncement:

<CUT>
* ACSLS not supported on Solaris 7 and 8                             *

Version 4.1.x (this version) of the Sun Tivoli Storage Manager does NOT support
ACSLS on Solaris 7 and 8.
</CUT>

I immediately called to get clarification of this statement.  I inferred this
to mean that ACSLS running on Solaris 7 and 8 is not supported, which is no
problem as I am running it on Solaris 2.6.  I spoke with a fine gentleman who
explained that what they are trying to say is that TSM 4.1.x on Solaris 7 and 8
does not support ACSLS.  PERIOD.  The reason he cited had to do with the ACSLS
application being 32 bit code. He further explained that my options are to
continue running TSM 3.7 (end of service announced for 10/31/01), or go back to
Solaris 2.6.  I spoke to the shift manager and asked him to confirm this
interpretation as surely this cannot be correct.  He concurred with the first
gentleman.  He offered to reopened my PMR and directed it to the Development
team.  He stated that if there is enough demand for it, they may develop the
code for it.

I then followed up with STK support.  I asked if a 64 bit version was in
development or planned and the answer is no, though ACSLS now supports Solaris
7 and 8 (32 bit).  I am shocked.  We have a large and costly STK 9310
implementation using 9840 tape drives.  Device support for STK 9310 libraries
was one of the determining factors in our selection of TSM. I urge everyone who
is as alarmed about this as I to contact Tivoli and encourage this.  I feel
Tivoli is angling toward eliminating ACSLS libtypes entirely in favor of SCSI
controlled libraries and SANs.

Thanks,
Vint