ADSM-L

FW: Multiple TSM* Servers On Same Machine

2001-05-10 10:13:19
Subject: FW: Multiple TSM* Servers On Same Machine
From: Jeff Bach <jdbach AT WAL-MART DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:14:05 -0500
In 3.1.2.41,  application limitations forced it.

1.      Recovery log max was 5 Gigs.  Some of our database transactions take
hours to complete and the server log was filling totals during a 2 hour
window.  (ie: a 40 Gigs Dbspace from and Informix client)
2.      Database buffer on each crashes the database instance when over 1
Gig.
3.      One recovery log as opposed to multiple like any current generation
database.  Multiple logs could prevent a long transaction from crashing the
ADSM server database instance.
4.      3 separate database with 2 disk arrays as the database each seem to
handle a lot more clients than 1 database instance with 6 database disk
arrays.
5.      Once we got 300 clients on a server instance, ADSM started having a
lot of internal issues ... some related to database buffer prefetching.

        If ADSM could handle it, I would have a single ADSM instance on a
single server and eliminate all hardware bottlenecks, but at 3.1.2.41, ADSM
can't handle 1000 clients on a server tracking 200 million files and getting
1 Terabyte per day.  The UNIX server built handles it fine.

        The major limitation is the ADSM database ... it needs to be
redesigned or ported to a robust database such at Informix of Oracle ...
maybe since they bought Informix they will. I doubt it though.  On those
database, you can give the database 6 gigs of memory and cache most
everything.  Eventually, I would like to put the entire database in memory.

Jeff Bach
Home Office Open Systems Engineering
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

WAL-MART CONFIDENTIAL