ADSM-L

Re: Newbie Concern on Restore Times

2001-05-08 16:04:03
Subject: Re: Newbie Concern on Restore Times
From: "Caffey, Jeff L." <jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:04:50 -0500
Bern,

We've had less-than-we-expected restore performance with TSM.  Our backups
FLY, but our restores are slow.  But when I tested TSM (on LTO) against our
old system that we used for NT (Veritas Backup Exec on DLT), TSM won.  TSM
was MAYBE 10-20 percent faster on restores, but EASILY 300% faster on
backups.

My opinion...  TSM wasn't much of an improvement over what we had in terms
of restoring data, and since that's what it's for - you can't overlook that.
It cut down my backup window dramatically, and it's MUCH easier to manage
than Backup Exec, but in the event of a real disaster I don't expect much
benefit.  At least my daily headaches have been greatly reduced, and I've
almost completely taken the tape operators out of the equation.   Overall,
I'm very pleased.

Now if I could just get that restore performance back up there...

Thank you,

Jeff Caffey
Enterprise Systems Programmer
(AIX & Storage Administrator)
Pier 1 imports, Inc.  -  Information Services
jlcaffey AT pier1 DOT com
Voice: (817) 252-6222
Fax:   (817) 252-7299