ADSM-L

Re: Where are the solaris bare metal restore procedures for TSM 4.x ?????!!!!!!

2001-05-07 08:31:06
Subject: Re: Where are the solaris bare metal restore procedures for TSM 4.x ?????!!!!!!
From: Keith Kwiatek <kkwiatek AT NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:34:20 -0700
Yes, and it seems rather expensive.... we have 750+ nodes and they are
talking $200-300K for an enterprise license.... or somewhere between $400
and $900 per node for an individual license....

Our solaris clients were fine until we went to TSM 4.x.... now we can't use
the tried and true method of  "boot off cd, and run dsmc to completely
restore".....With TSM4.x it seems solaris jumpstart doesn't provide
libraries that TSM4.x needs to even provide a command line prompt....

Kernel Group gets around this with bootp+NFS, --as far as I can tell, all
they really add is some scripts to automate the process of formatting and
partitioning the drives (is this a good thing?)..... I think we could do the
same if we can give our customers access to bootp and NFS (which is FREE),
then they would just have to format+partitition, and run dsmc restore....

At least, that is the theory.... we might go with with Kernel Group's BMR
yet....

Any other ideas?

Keith