ADSM-L

Re: Can I send one file to two pools?

2001-05-01 19:35:46
Subject: Re: Can I send one file to two pools?
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:36:33 -0700
This reminds me of WDSF/VM (ADSM/TSM's predecessor)
At that time there was no copypool capability.

I wracked my brains out thinking of a scheme where every time a tape
was mounted for write mode I would queue up a tape to tape copy job
to 'clone' it.  (VM's PROPLOG would  make it easy and possible.)

  It was crazy.  The possiblity of copying the tapes in the
wrong direction was there since they basically had to have the same IBM
Standard Label ensuring that if an opeator could mount them wrong it will
happen!!

I quickly forgot this insanity when I heard COPYPOOL capability was
coming.

Any problem's 'solvable' with enough money.  Or as I like to say:

"Never ask an IBM salesman if something is possible,
instead ask him how much it will cost you"

You could setup highspeed connection to a offsite media and do
collocated copypools if non-collocated, ship off each day, isn't good
enough.

              ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
   joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu