ADSM-L

Re: 500GB Backup

2001-04-30 02:00:15
Subject: Re: 500GB Backup
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:25:56 +1000
Richard,

How are these dumps created?  If they are created using DD or something
similar, you may be able to get some relief from using RMAN to create disk
dumps.  RMAN only backs up used database pages. It also has options to do
incremental and differential backups.  These are really options that you should
be exploring if your window is really that tight.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and ADSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> "Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU> 28/04/2001 3:42:19 >>>
The amount of data is the same everday 500GB full backup.  I'm using one SSA
card in the tsm system.  I could get Gig cards if I have proof that I'm
maxing out the current 100mb cards in the system and I don't seem to be
doing that.  The tsm server is plugged into the same switch has the backup
server and on the same ip subnet.  Also, the database files that I'm backing
up are just oracle dump files.  The tsm serve is also running aix 4.3.3.