ADSM-L

Re: AW: DSM.OPT override question.

2001-04-27 13:09:48
Subject: Re: AW: DSM.OPT override question.
From: Alan Davenport <alan.davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:04:51 -0400
andrew_raibeck AT tivoli DOT com wrote:

> 1) If you want to combine the selective backup with your regular daily
> incremental backup, you can include your pre/post schedule commands to stop
> and restart the database in your regular dsm.opt file. In the special
> management class you created for the database's files, set the copy group's
> MODE to ABSOLUTE (normally it is set to MODIFIED). The ABSOLUTE mode will
> tell TSM to back up the files regardless of whether they have changed. Then
> set up your include/exclude list so that the database's files are bound to
> this special management class. The only drawback that I can think of is
> that depending on how long it takes to perform the scheduled backup of the
> machine, the database will be down for that time (as opposed to the time it
> takes to back up just the database files). Otherwise this is the easiest
> solution.

Oh for Pete's sake. ABSOLUTE! Do you ever have a day where you feel
especially dense? Thank you very much! I knew about absolute mode and
forgot that I knew. The only thing that makes me feel better is my
co-worker had a brain lock as well. (: I think it is a good thing that
tomorrow is the weekend.

 Take care,
     Al