ADSM-L

Clean archdir commands and context

2001-04-27 09:46:03
Subject: Clean archdir commands and context
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:46:19 -0500
I received this from another forum participant.  I'm not sure if he wants
his role known, so I removed his personal content.

The syntax for Clean Archdirs command changed between ADSM 3.1 and TSM.

This is for TSM 4.1 and **maybe** for TSM 3.7.

Tivoli Tech Support took three days to tell me that there was "no
documentation" on this command.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM (4.1) Administrator
Laitram Corporation

----------- Begin technical document ----------------------
Archive Description and Directory Utilities
Archive Description and Directory Utilities

There have been a number of PMRs in the past year that involve archive
processing  These include:
   the API client does not support efficient query or retrieve by
   description
   unsatisfactory performance when archiving a file using a 3.1.0.7 client
   and a 3.1.2.40 server
   storage administrators who have used ADSM from Version 2 have noticed
   large increases in database space requirements after upgrading to
   Version  3 servers and clients
   expiration performance is degraded when processing large numbers of
   archive objects

These problems all have their roots in changes where the Version 3 client
began to archive directories, introduced the idea of archive packages using
the description field as the package handle, and the GUI changed to a tree
structured presentation for retrieve:
   3.1.0 to 3.1.0.6 clients generated a default description that included a
   timestamp with millisecond granularity.  To prevent the archive
   directories from expiring before a file that references them, they were
   bound to the management class with the longest retention and
   unconditionally archived each time the archive function was invoked.
   (Note that when a client specified the same description to archive files
   from the same directory sub-tree, duplicate directory entries were
   archived.)  The primary Archive.Objects and secondary
   Arch.Objs.ByDescription tables grew unexpectedly especially when
   hundreds of files were archived daily, one at a time, from tools that
   invoked the command line client.

   to reduce the number of directory entries, the 3.1.0.7 and higher
   clients removed the timestamp from the default description, stored one
   entry for each directory that is unique by hl,ll AND description (no
   duplicates), bound archive directories to the management class with the
   shortest retention and expired only directories that were not
   referenced.  When archiving a file, the client now queries the server to
   determine if the directory/description structure exists:  the
   directories are inserted when they do not already exist.  Customers who
   archive files frequently noticed "hangs" and high CPU utilization when
   archiving new entries while the server utilized MIPs to query in tables
   flooded with directory entries.  Expiration performance degraded because
   each directory that is eligible to be expired is now tested to determine
   if the entry is referenced.

   Despite these changes, the quantity of entries can be exacerbated when a
   client archives hundreds of files a day, one at a time, and uses a new
   description for each archive request.

The server ptf 3.7.40 and ptfs for subsequent versions address these
problems:
   a new CONVert ARCHive command allows administrators to convert a node to
   the description tables.  Conversion is no longer dependent on using a
   GUI  client.  This command is documented by apar ic27865 and is a fix
   for iy08295.
   a new Arch.Description.Objects table has been introduced to improve
   archive search performance for clients with large numbers of archive
   entries.  The existing Arch.Objs.ByDescription table continues to be
   supported:  customers are not required to change to the new table.  All
   new conversions use the new table, and an administrator can force
   conversion to the new table using an undocumented option to the CONVert
   ARCHive command.
   a new DELETEDIrs option has been added to the CLEAN ARCHDIR utility to
   allow administrators to delete all archive directories for a node.
   Deleting the directories will reduce the space requirements for the
   Archive.Objects and Arch.Objs.ByDescription or Arch.Description.Objects
   tables and improve expiration performance.
   the 4.1.2 client offers a new archive option, -v2Archive, which
   suppresses archiving the directory structure

   The latter 3 bullet items are fixes for iy08292.

The changes are documented in:
   the Archive Revisited line item design document
   ic27865
   this document written for service personnel

Commands available to manage archive problems:

   (Note:  the syntax of the CLEAN ARCHDIR utility has been changed.  The
   new syntax and functions are available for TSM server version 3.7 and
   higher, and for the 3.1.2.90 ADSM server.)

   CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> {DELETEDUplicates  [Format=S|D] [Wait=No|Yes]
                          | SHOWstats
                          | RESETDescr
                          | 1DELETEDIrs }

   where <nodeName> and 1 of 4 functions is required:
     DELETEDUplicates - removes duplicate directories.  This functions was
     designed for directories archived by clients between 3.1.0 and
     3.1.0.6.

     SHOWstats - counts and displays the number of filespaces, directories
     and  files for a node.  It also determines how many directories are
     unique by  hl and all, and the number of duplicates.  This was added
     because, for  large archive tables, the server may run out of
     temporary table space when  obtaining this information via SQL
     queries.  Use this function to  determine if the quantity of
     directories might be causing performance  problems when inserting,
     querying, retrieving or deleting archive files,  or the number of
     entries that will be deleted by the RESETDescr and  DELETEDIrs
     functions.  RESETDescr will delete the number reported by the
     "duplicates" field.  DELETEDIrs will delete the total number of
     directories.

     RESETDescriptions - sets the description field of archive table
     directory  and file entries to the null string.  The resulting
     "duplicate"  directories are also deleted (we keep the most recent
     entry).  The  function is performed on a node that is NOT converted.
     An error is  returned if the node is converted.

        !!!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!! WARNING !!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!!!
        ! Use this function only when the description field is not  !
        ! important to the user (e.g. for query and retrieve).      !
        ! THE DESCRIPTIONS FOR ALL FILE AND DIRECTORIES FOR A NODE  !
        ! WILL BE RESET TO "".                                      !
        !!!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!! WARNING !!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!!!

     To use:
        verify that the node does not need its descriptions
        gather initial file and unique directory counts, where a directory
        is  unique by nodeName, filespaceName, objectType, hlName and
        llName.  The  SHOWstats option may be used to collect these
        statistics.
        ** BACKUP THE DATABASE **
        if the node is converted, issue:  DELete ARCHDescriptions
        <nodeName>
        issue:  CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> RESETDescriptions
        gather file and unique directory counts again, and compare to step
        2.  The  unique directory and file counts should match, providing
        no inserts or  deletes occurred for this node between steps 2 and
        6. query and retrieve a few selected files

     DELETEDirs - deletes all archive table directory entries for a node
     regardless of conversion status.  Since this function preserves the
     description field for files, use it to reduce the number of archive
     table  entries when description is important to the customer.

        !!!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!! WARNING !!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!!!
        ! Access and other attribute information stored by some     !
        ! clients for directories will not be available when they   !
        ! rebuild the directory path to a file during a retrieve    !
        !!!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!! WARNING !!!!!*****!!!!!*****!!!!!!

     To use:
        verify that the node does not need the ACL information stored for
        the directories
        gather initial file and unique directory counts, where a directory
        is  unique by nodeName, filespaceName, objectType, hlName and
        llName.  The  SHOWstats option may be used to collect these
        statistics.
        ** BACKUP THE DATABASE **
        if the node is converted, issue:  DELete ARCHDescriptions
        <nodeName>
        issue:  CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> DELETEDIrs
        gather file and unique directory counts again, and compare to step
        2.  The  file counts should match, and directory counts should be
        zero. query and retrieve a few selected files

     Format may be Standard or Detailed, and defaults to Standard

     Wait may be No or Yes, and defaults to No.  Yes is available only to
     admin  clients, and may not be issued from the system console.

   DELete ARCHDescriptions <nodeName>
     This command deletes a node from the archive description tables.  It
     runs in the background to prevent the server console from  hanging,
     and is started as a cancelable process, which allows administrators to
     take snapshot progress reports.

   CONVert ARCHive <nodeName> REORG=No|Yes
     The REORG option is an undocumented option that allows an
     administrator to reorganize a node that is already converted using the
     old table, to the new description table with improved description
     search characteristics.  Processing will initially "unconvert" the
     node,  make entries in the new table, then remove entries from the old
     table.   Note that all new conversions initiated after the 3.7.40 ptf
     has been  applied, will use the new table.

Trace options

To diagnose archive problems, use:
   ARCH - for archive query, delete and new archive inserts
   ARCHD - for detailed traces of the above
   ARCHUTIL - to trace the CLEAN ARCHDIR, DELete ARCHDescriptions and
   CONVert ARCHive commands

To diagnose archive query, delete and inserts problems, also use:
   SESSION
   SYSTIME

When to use the above commands:
   |------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
   | Symptom                | Suggestions:                                |
   |------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
   |a customer using a 3.1.0| determine the number of archive entries:    |
   |or higher ADSM or TSM   |    CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> SHOWstats       |
   |server and a 3.1.0 or   |                                             |
   |higher client           | If there is a large number of directory     |
   |experiences poor        | entries, reduce the number of entries by:   |
   |performance when        |    CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> DELETDUplicates |
   |archiving new files,    |    if the node uses a 3.1.0 to 3.1.0.6      |
   |issuing archive queries |    client                                   |
   |that include            |                                             |
   |directories, when       |    or, CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> RESETDescr  |
   |deleting archive        |    if the node does not use descriptions to |
   |directories and files,  |    query or retrieve its archive files.     |
   |during expiration.      |    3.1.0.7 and later clients should always  |
   |                        |    specify a description of " " (a blank) to|
   |(This problem is        |    suppress the default description for     |
   |especially experienced  |    further archives.                        |
   |by clients that archive |                                             |
   |large numbers of files  |    or, CLEAN ARCHDIR <nodeName> DELETEDIrs  |
   |daily, each with a      |    if the node does not need the access and |
   |unique description, one |    other information stored with            |
   |at a time, using a tool |    directories.  Further archives using a   |
   |that invokes the command|    4.1.2 client or later should use the     |
   |line client.)           |    -v2Archive option to suppress archiving  |
   |                        |    the directories.                         |
   |------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
   |a customer using a 3.1.0|    reduce the number of directory entries,  |
   |or higher server and    |    as above, if possible                    |
   |3.1.0 or higher GUI or  |                                             |
   |command line client     |    if the client specifies unique           |
   |experiences "hangs" when|    descriptions with each file, convert or  |
   |archiving new files.    |    reorganize the node:                     |
   |                        |     if the node is NOT converted, issue:    |
   |                        |     CONVert ARCHive <nodeName>              |
   |                        |     if the node IS converted, issue:        |
   |                        |     CONVert ARCHive <nodeName> REORG=Yes    |
   |------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
   |an API client           |convert the node to the description tables   |
   |experiences delays when |using the CONVert ARCHive <nodeName> command |
   |querying, archiving or  |                                             |
   |retrieving files using  |                                             |
   |the description option  |                                             |
   |------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
   |a node has been         |remove the node from the description tables  |
   |converted and:          |using the DELete ARCHDescriptions <nodeName> |
   |   the customer needs to|command.                                     |
   |   use the              |                                             |
   |   DELETEDUplicates,    |                                             |
   |   RESETDescrs or       |                                             |
   |   DELETEDIrs options of|                                             |
   |   the CLEAN ARCHDIR    |                                             |
   |   utility              |                                             |
   |   or, a node that      |                                             |
   |   archives using the   |                                             |
   |   command line or API  |                                             |
   |   no longer uses       |                                             |
   |   descriptions to query|                                             |
   |   or retrieve files    |                                             |
   |   (GUI clients always  |                                             |
   |   use the description  |                                             |
   |   tables)              |                                             |