ADSM-L

Re: Reducing/compressing the database

2001-04-26 12:24:45
Subject: Re: Reducing/compressing the database
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:17:53 +0100
Mark,

I agree with you that the benefits from using UNLOADDB/LOADDB may prove
transitory, and that they tend to be very long running and therefore are of
marginal utility for a production
database, but
 DSMSERV UNLOADDB
 DSMSERV LOADDB
are documented commands at least in the OS390 world,  see:-

TSM for MVS and OS/390: Administrator's Guide
4.4.5.5  Compressing the Database

Over time, database volumes become fragmented. You can restore the
efficiency of the database by unloading and reloading it. First unload the
database in key order. Then reload the database, which will compress and
reorganize it. When the server is offline, use the DSMSERV UNLOADDB
utility.  After unloading the database, use the DSMSERV LOADDB utility.
After using the DSMSERV UNLOADDB utility and the DSMSERV LOADDB utility,
the DSMSERV AUDITDB utility may be required to locate and correct any
database inconsistencies.  Here is an example of compressing the database,
where the database is unloaded to tape:
                                .

Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM> on 04/26/2001 05:18:30 AM