ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server and novell cluster in a SAN?!?

2001-04-26 10:25:58
Subject: Re: TSM Server and novell cluster in a SAN?!?
From: "Forgosh, Seth" <sforgosh AT TIAA-CREF DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:26:32 -0400
Norbert,
        We currently are running TSM 3.7.4 with NCS 1.01 in production. The
backup works just fine with one caveat. When you setup the TSM client on the
NCS nodes, use the same DSM.OPT file and use only one TSM node name. This
allows all of the NCS nodes to attempt to backup all of the potential
volumes. Also, we don't use the TSM scheduler because we had trouble making
one schedule run on multiple TSM nodes at the same time. Instead we are
using CRON which is downloadable from Novell to execute a backup at a
specified time. Now for the catch. The Novell TSAs don't allow you to
address the cluster virtual servers. They only understand SERVER/VOLUME: so
if you have two servers (A and B) and each has one volume normally mounted
(VOL1 on server A and VOL2 on server B), when you do your backups to TSM
node CLUSTER the filespaces will be A/VOL1: and B/VOL2:. If server A fails,
VOL1 moves to server B. When you backup again you wind up with filespaces
A/VOL1:, B/VOL1: and B/VOL2:. Then when a user calls for a restore from
VOL1, you need to restore both filespaces to get the full restore. You also
wind up with double the storage used because you have two copies of the same
data. As you can see this gets confusing and wastefull with just two nodes
let alone a full NCS implemention with 32 nodes! The good news is that
Novell is working on new TSAs to address this problem and they should be
available around Q3 (no promises on the date!). If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact me.

Seth Forgosh