ADSM-L

Rebinding archive to management class

2001-04-25 13:54:02
Subject: Rebinding archive to management class
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:54:43 -0400
Folks,
        I know its not possible to rebind previously archived files to a new
management class, but I want to try it anyway.  My customer has been using the
default management class when archiving in the past, but wants to increase the
retention period from 180 to 730 days.  I can't do this for the default
management class, so I have decided to create another management class with a
730 day retention period.  So, his newly archived files will be bound to this
second management class, but his old ones will still be bound to the default
class.
        To 'coerce' ADSM into rebinding his previously archived files I was
thinking of creating a new policy domain, and associating the node with this
domain.  In this case, all archive files will become rebound to the management
class with the same name as in the old policy domain, or in the case that a
management class of the same name doesn't exist, they will use the grace
retention period.  Am I on the right track here?  Can anyone recommend a
better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
/**
/**
 **    Matt Bacchi                   mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
 **    IBM Global Services                SDC Northeast
 **    F6TG; MD Filesystems/Internet     (802) 769-4072
 **    ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup             (tie) 446-4072
 **/