ADSM-L

Re: Anyone have any SQL ideas for these stats?

2001-04-25 09:32:06
Subject: Re: Anyone have any SQL ideas for these stats?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:32:50 -0400
> I need to see if I can determine:
>  - # of mounts per individual tape drive
>       - drive useage - would like to be able to compare when all drives
>are in use, for how long, etc,

Harold - I'm not aware that TSM tracks such information; but advanced
         tape drives like the 3590 themselves record such information,
internally...

You can use the 3590 front panel to get mount information from the
Show Statistics menu.  Refer to the 3590 Operator Guide.

You can typically ask various types of tape drives for the counters that they
maintain.  For the 3590 you can get statistics such as Drive Lifetime Mounts,
Drive Lifetime Megabytes Written or Read, from the Log Page X'3D' (Subsystem
Statistics), via discrete programming or with the 'tapeutil' command, like:

 tapeutil

  Enter Selection: 1

  Enter the device special file name (Example: /dev/rmt0): /dev/rmt3

  Select mode (1=Read/Write, 2=Read Only, 3=Write Only, 4=Append): 2

  Opening device...

  Enter Selection for /dev/rmt3: 9

  Enter page code in hex: 3d

  Enter parameter pointer in hex or <enter> for all parameters: 40

  Enter length (including header) or <enter> for entire parameter:
  Issuing log sense for page 0x3D...

  Log Sense Page 0x3D,  Page Length 28,  Data,  Length 28

            0 1  2 3  4 5  6 7  8 9  A B  C D  E F   0123456789ABCDEF
    0000 - 3D00 0018 0040 6004 0000 066A 0041 6004  [=....@`....j.A`.]
    0010 - 0015 63E3 0042 6004 0011 F9D6            [..cc.B`...yV    ]

Refer to the 3590 Hardware Reference manual for codes and byte positions.
Here, we requested 40, being Drive Lifetime Mounts.  That returned
the 32-bit value 0000066A, or 1642 decimal.  The parameter 41 Drive Lifetime
Megabytes Written happens to be returned as well: 001563E3, or 1,401,827 MB.

  Richard Sims, BU