ADSM-L

Re: Second set of tapes

2001-04-24 13:49:06
Subject: Re: Second set of tapes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:49:15 -0400
>Yes, I did not use TSM to remove the old tapes. How should that be done? I
>did checkin the new ones as scratch yes, is that a problem also?

Use CHECKOut LIBVolume for volumes which are to be taken out of use, as is
the case for Offsite tapes.
Use MOVe MEDia for the type of removal which is done to free library slots,
but which leaves the tapes requestable and mountable by TSM.  (The poor-man's
DRM.)
Checking in the new volumes as Scratch is the right thing to do.  TSM remains
confused about the state of the old tapes.  You need to have TSM regard the
old tapes as no longer eligible for processing.  Read about the various methods
of
removing tapes to choose the one most appropriate to your needs.
Depending upon library type, you might use the Remove=No keyword to
logically do what you have already physically done.
Or possibly do 'UPDate Volume ... ACCess=OFfsite'.

  Richard Sims, BU