ADSM-L

Re: Second set of tapes

2001-04-24 13:26:01
Subject: Re: Second set of tapes
From: Patrick Sheehan <psheehan AT GLOBE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:26:03 -0400
Yes, I did not use TSM to remove the old tapes. How should that be done? I
did checkin the new ones as scratch yes, is that a problem also?

TIA

                    Richard Sims
                    <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    "ADSM: Dist          Subject:     Re: Second set of tapes
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    04/24/2001
                    01:14 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

>     Ok, I have successfully configured an auto-tape library and
schedules.
>My problem now is I filled the first set of tapes and went to use another
>set. I remove the tapes and put in the new ones. The machine has a barcode
>reader and I labeled the new tapes. I define a new library and assigned
the
>drive tot he library. When I do a query libvol I can see all the tapes.
>But, when I try a backup of any of the clients I get a "server media mount
>not possible" error. What have I missed ????

Sounds like the old tapes were physically removed, without going through
TSM,
which is calling for a mount of a previous Filling tape, which the library
tells TSM that it cannot do.  There may be an accompanying message
identifying
the tape, which you could check for being in the set of removed tapes.
Also, did you Checkin the new volumes, as Scratch, in addition to labeling
them?