ADSM-L

Re: LTO Performance

2001-04-20 15:36:59
Subject: Re: LTO Performance
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:37:10 -0400
I have noticed replies related to the LTO.  But also noticed that you changed
"everything at once" or so it seems below.   I've seen comments from some
people that did "just" the *SM upgrade you did and saw performance problems of
various kinds.

Have you looked at areas other than LTO?  I'm particularly interested in that
we have 3575-L32 now and one option we are looking at is upgrading to 3583/3584
LTO as we are running out of tape storage space.

Did you really do all at once or was this a phased in approach.  If you did all
at once, I think you deserve some kind of award that it even works!!

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU 04/20/01 01:19PM >>>
I have not been monitoring the list for a while, so forgive me if I ask
something that has been covered previously...

We recently upgraded our 3466 model A01 with two 3575 tape libraries to a
3466 model C01 with a 3584 tape library.  We also upgraded from ADSM 3.1.1
to TSM 4.1.  I have begun to notice that our tape operations are taking
significantly longer than they did before.  Simple restores take forever
between the mount and the start of data transfer, the time it takes to
backup our DB has tripled (and the DB is smaller), and restores of large
Oracle and Exchange databases are taking about twice as long.  The process
of backing data up to the copypool for offsite storage is also taking a very
long time.  I have a process running now that has backed up 21Gb from one
tape in the primary pool to one tape in the copypool, in other words a
straight tape to tape copy, over a two hour time period.

Does anyone out there have any similar experience?  We do have support from
both Tivoli and IBM hardware support, any suggestions on who to call first?

Debbie Weeks
University of South Florida
Information Technologies/Technical Support
********
*Debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU
*(813)974-6926*S/C 574-6926
Fax (813) 974-3054

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/20/01 15:38:14
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.