ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup

2001-04-19 05:38:07
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server Setup
From: Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:38:29 +0100
Jack

Bob King's previous reply explains the difference between meta objects and data
objects more eloquently than I could.

While I understand the reasons for separating meta objects and data objects, and
storing the meta data on disk-only storage pools, we chose not to. In doing this
we accepted that if we needed to perform a query about a SQL database backup
object to find out information such as the data-file locations, a tape would
need to be mounted. This is slow (especially on our DLT7000s) but is something
that we do infrequently, and usually only as the precursor to a restore from
tape anyway.

We too use both the Windows 4.1.2.12 backup/archive client and the TDP for SQL
client to protect the servers. Although not strictly necessary, we use two
different node registrations on the TSM server for each system. The only
interaction between the two software components is the use of the scheduler from
the backup/archive client to schedule TDP backups.

We have two TSM scheduler services installed per system - one for the TDP for
SQL client performing SQL Server backups and one for the Windows backup/archive
client node performing file system backups. The SQL Server backups are performed
by TSM schedules where ACTION=COMMAND and the filesystem backups are performed
by TSM schedules where ACTION=INCREMENTAL. These schedules are handled by the
two different services and allows the different schedules to be actioned
concurrently.

There are a number of other ways we could have set things up, but this seems to
work very well for us.

Neil Schofield

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682