ADSM-L

AW: Should LOADDB take this long?

2001-04-18 06:18:54
Subject: AW: Should LOADDB take this long?
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:18:54 +0200
Hi,

looks like your DB is good optimised for read operations,
less for write/change operations.

Load takes long, but not necessarily that long.

My DB of some 6 GB used space took more than an hour to be dumped,
but was loaded in something more than a day.
NT4, 2 333 Pentii CPU´s.

I believe that adsm-DB spread in mure (16) db volumes
over 2 raid 1 arrays implemented on
an 80MB/s SCSI controller with fair amount
of well-managed on-board RAM-cache
and usage of at least 2 independent scsi channels
speeds up writing in adsm´s database significantly.
(please note, same amount of dbvols could
be fatal in another HW environmenmt)

More usefull in your current situation:
if you are using the adsm´s software raid 1,
switch it off during either load or restore operations.
This will speed things up, you can add this
redundancy any time later.

regards
Juraj Salak