ADSM-L

FW: Question on del volhist

2001-04-12 11:15:31
Subject: FW: Question on del volhist
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:52:14 -0600
Okay .. since we're talking del volhist ...

Can someone clarify this point with the del volhist ?

  If I am using scratch tapes (no private tapes), and I am using the DR
Module.   It seems to me that if I have a DR tape, offsite, and empty (in
retrieve state) and I delete the volhist entry,   the tape seems to
disappear totally from view. (i.e. a  "q drm" command will no longer show
it).  I believe that scratch tapes will disappear if they are empty ... not
a big deal if you know which ones they are, but if they disappear from view
before you bring them back on site,  how would you find them (without
performing a manual offsite audit) ?  (It is my understanding that tapes
change from pending to empty "reuse" number of days (exactly) after they
have gone pending.  So you could have tapes changing from pennding to empty
any time "3" days from the time the expiration freed it up.)

  How is anyone handling this (or are you doing what I'm doing and not
deleting the volhist) ?   Should I run my expiration weekly instead of daily
?  Then I would know when my tapes would be changing to empty.

Thanks,

Glenn MacIntosh
Manager of Technical Services
Sobeys Inc.