ADSM-L

Re: How Can I reduce the OffSitePool

2001-04-11 15:21:36
Subject: Re: How Can I reduce the OffSitePool
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:15:05 -0500
Hi Diana,

the problem with this is that DRM is designed to provide a complete copy. A
copy stgpool, is just that, it contains an exact duplicate of your primary
pools.

Why don't you just change the number modified files that get stored? Or be more
specific with your management classes - maybe some file do need 18 generations,
but most only need 3. If you have a very large files, like I do (Sybase
database backups), sometimes I only store the files onsite. Of course, I don't
do this for the production backs, but quite often we do 'extra' backups and
there is no need to send these offsite.

Look for your largest node (by backup space), use q auditocc. Find the largest
node, then use q occ <node>, find the largest file space, and work with it.

None of these are of course a solution, you really should get more disk space.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> Diana.Cline AT ROSSNUTRITION DOT COM 11-Apr-01 12:25:29 PM >>>
>>> Diana.Cline AT ROSSNUTRITION DOT COM 11-Apr-01 12:25:29 PM >>>
We are having problems with our DBsize and Recovery Log size. We are in a
disk crunch.  So I have been looking for ways to reduce the # of files that
our DB and Recover Log file keeps track of.

Our OnSitePool and our OffSite pool are almost idential in the number of
files that are contained in them.  We use this pool for DRM.  My thought is
that if we TRULY have a DR situation we need only provide the last ACTIVE
files to our clients.   I do not think that we need to provide 18
generations of data files to our company is not producing our product!
Therefore, if I could only produce offsitepool information that contained
the last active file it would reduce the number of tapes useds, reduce the
# of files managed, etc. and maybe help us

Anyone know if this could be done or not or have any workarounds that would
still fit into a DRM scenario?

Diana Cline
Ross Products Division
614 / 624-3788