ADSM-L

Re: Long Term Archives

2001-04-10 06:26:25
Subject: Re: Long Term Archives
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:31:04 +0200
Hi Ray,

I think the most important is to do "refreshing" of the data.
If you think of it(maybe not people with recent Adsm/Tsm servers), we ran
Adsm V1 about 7 years ago - the physical media at that time was 3480 - it
has gone through quite a few incarnations of tape technology(3480 + idrc,
3590, 3590e), so yes the data was refreshed. As we moved to newer tape
technology the old archived data was copied by Adsm move data commands to
the new tapes, and thus is still restorable after 7 years since been
archived to Adsm, and I know it will still be retrievable after 10 years....
(Take into consideration that the data is readable even after changing to
TSM 3.7 and 4.1 from Adsm V3 and 2 and 1, I think we have a pretty robust
piece of software that gives you the ability to do this).

Just my 2cents.

Regards
Christo Heuer
Absa Bank

> Doesn't anybody have a pragmatic approach to using *SM for
> long term archive?
> Bypass compression?  Bypass encryption?
>
> What are the realities of using optical media (WORM)?
>
> Who performs "refreshing" (i.e., media migration) on a
> regular schedule?
>
> Has anyone successfully migrated all their archives between
> platforms, or between media (tape to optical?)
>
> It seems to me that with the wealth of experience in the
> *SM community, somebody would have some experiences
> and best practices to share!
>

> Ray Dmochowski
> Schering-Plough Research Institute
> Kenilworth, NJ 07033, U.S.A.