ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3995 A63

2001-04-09 11:12:06
Subject: Re: IBM 3995 A63
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:12:42 -0400
>        Is anyone out there still using IBM 3996 A63 optical library? I just
>moved our TSM4.1 from an old MicroChannel machine to an F80. The optical
>library stoped working on F80. I hooked it up to an "PCI Universal
>Differentail Ultra SCSI, IBM feature code 6204, type 4-U". It seems to me
>that they are not compitible. Can anyone confirm this? Other information
>resources on this model is also greatly appreciated.

Jie - The key to it might involve the kind of adapter to which the 3996
      was attached in the former system.  I gather that the 3996 is an
old product, so I wonder if it used a narrow SCSI interface, as opposed
to the wide that the 6204 is.  I once had to connect a rack-mount HP 3420
tape drive to a differential-wide adapter, and got it to work only by
going into SMIT and forcing the adapter to Narrow mode.  (Modern SCSI
devices should cause the adapter to lapse into narrow mode via detection,
but it's pot-luck with older devices.)  I'd recommend getting the specs
from your 3996 manual and try making the adapter suit its needs.
I don't know if the 3996 needs any special device driver software beyond
that, which would be a further complication.

  Richard Sims, BU