ADSM-L

Re: db2 backups not expiring

2001-04-04 11:23:49
Subject: Re: db2 backups not expiring
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:24:27 -0400
Peter,

Another thing to think about is how often your database is backed up fully,
versus the logs being archived.  We only back up the dbs fully once per week,
and logs are applied to get to a particular point in time.  Because of this,
we use :

        vere = 2
        verd = 0
        rete = 0
        reto = 0

Also, this forces inactive copies to be deleted, so we don't keep 50 Gig
databases around that don't need to be.

-Matt
>Does anybody know why wouldn't db2 backups expire, when, in theory, they>Does
>anybody know why wouldn't db2 backups expire, when, in theory, they
>should be?
>We have an AIX-SP environment, with TSM 4.1, server and clients. DB2 data is
>backed up via the TSM-API. The copygroup criteria for this data is: versions
>exists=1; versions deleted=1; retain extra versions=1, retain only
>version=3.
>DB2 backups have been occurring weekly since mid-November 2000, yet none of
>the DB2 backup images have ever expired. We run inventory expiration daily.
>Any ideas?

/**
 **    Matt Bacchi                   mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
 **    IBM Global Services                SDC Northeast
 **    F6TG; MD Filesystems/Internet     (802) 769-4072
 **    ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup             (tie) 446-4072
 **/