ADSM-L

Solaris client tcpip and 3494 mtlib

2001-04-04 10:57:28
Subject: Solaris client tcpip and 3494 mtlib
From: Gina Glenewinkel <gglenewi AT CSC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:41:31 -0500
We are still on ADSM V3, using backint to backup SAP environment on Solaris
machines.  Our ADSM servers are AIX 4.3.2 and 4.3.3.

1) I was once able to do this command: mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmt0 -qD
to query the drive but after upgrading some hardware and microcode on the
3494 that command produces "unable to open device special file /dev/rmt0.
Device not ready."  As far as I know, the device is indeed ready.  I expect
this problem could be fixed by upgrading my Atape.driver code?  Where can I
download the latest?

2) On several of our Solaris clients the nightly online backups (backint)
produce the following error:  "ANS1017 (RC -50) Session rejected: TCP/IP
connection failure 'ADSM error from session 3: 'BKI1125W: The object
/oracle/T44/sapbackup/backT44.log will be retried."    There are similar
errors in the dsierror.log (error sending data on tcp/ip socket)
     a) Could this be a problem with my ADSM TCP settings?  Does backint
use the settings from the dsm.sys as the regular client does, even though
the nodename is different?  From the dsm.sys:  TCPBuffsize 64,
TCPWindowsize 512
     b) This error occurs always on the same files which are not
particularly large
     c) Nothing particular happening on the network or on the ADSM server
at the time, the AIX clients doing the same type of backup never get these
errors.

3) We have a collection of old management classes laying around that I
would like to get rid of.  Is there an easy way to tell whether any client
data is still being stored under these management classes?  I was thinking
of "query occupancy" but that doesn't seem to have what I need.  Is there a
"select" statement I could issue that will tell me?