ADSM-L

Re: Comparison of Backup Products

2001-03-29 13:32:39
Subject: Re: Comparison of Backup Products
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:33:33 -5
Well, we are in the process of converting to TSM from Legato (Unix)
and Archserv (NT, Netware).

Legato:  I've delt with lots of companies support organizations, but
Legato's is absolutely the worse.   Code quality?  Check the Legato
mailing list - The complaints loud and clear about the code quality.
We got so mad that we looked to convert to something else.

Archserv:  I've watched our NT/Netware fight Archserv for years.
Great product for a small number of systems, but falls apart as the
numbers of clients grows.

As far as Netware backups go, Every backup product I know of has
problems backing up Legato.  The last time I tried to get a Legato
Netware client running on a netware server it took a full week.  I
had to get from Legato an unpublished list of nlm's needed to make it
work.  Our conversion to TSM is almost complete for NT and Unix, but
Netware is being a problem.  There are Netware patches we need
installed to support TSM, but can't install them due to other Netware
issues (out of my area, not sure of details).  Also, for whatever the
new Netware filesystem is, there is no open file agent for it, and
won't be for some time due to Novells constant changes (what I'm
told).

TSM is anything but perfect, but so far for us it's been just about
what we expected.  My take is that TSM normal  IBM software . . .
very good core, more complex than it needs to be,  and forever
remains unfinished and probably always will.