ADSM-L

Re: Comparison of Backup Products

2001-03-29 11:43:13
Subject: Re: Comparison of Backup Products
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 04:41:12 -0800
I'm not sure from where this information comes, but it is news to me.

I can't say I know for sure about newer TSA releases since I haven't worked
closely with the NetWare platform for a long time. But in the past, I
worked on many problems with NetWare that involved the TSA or SMDR, and
there was never a case where Novell had to bring out a new set of modules
to fix or work around one of our bugs. Rather I'd say they had to bring out
a new TSA module in order to fix problems *exposed* by TSM/ADSM.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I worked with NetWare, so I could
be wrong... but I personally know the guys working on the NetWare client,
and I'd be hard-pressed to believe that they would try to pawn off one of
our bugs on another vendor... not to mention that I would be hard-pressed
to believe that Novell would actually change their product to fix one of
our bugs.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems
e-mail: araibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Mark,

I would say not actually.

The fact that the problems centralized around the TSA modules in many
cases,
was based on the fact that TSM/ADSM versions changed, not the TSA modules.
In every case, Netware was the one to bring out a new TSA module (including
some that weren't in SP's) in order to fix TSM/ADSM created problems. I
personaly had this issue with 2 seperate client upgrades from IBM, upgrades
which happened in a "same environment" Netware environment. Meaning that
there were absolutely no changes to the Netware systems, but there were
changes to the clients.

[snip]