ADSM-L

Re: Missing folders/files

2001-03-27 15:44:44
Subject: Re: Missing folders/files
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:37:53 -0500
Quoting "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>:

> Here is the situation:
> Someone seems to have deleted the C:\wtsrv\Profiles\Default User folder
> on a
> Terminal Server. Users seem to be having problems all of a sudden and
> I'm
> wondering if, with this folder gone, it would it cause any problems.
> With
> the backupcopygroup settings above it seems that this folder would have
> been
> gone for over 31 days because when they went to do a restore of it there
> was
> no active or inactive files within TSM. I believe the folder never
> changes
> so there would be just one active copy and no inactive.

Two possibilities occur to me.

The first is that the the user attempting the restore doesn't have the
required level of access to the file. On Unix clients, TSM won't even
disclose the existence of backup copies unless the user running the
query is root or the owner of the file involved. I would guess that the
Windows client has an analogous policy.

The second possibility is that an exclude statement in the client
options file prevented TSM from backing up the user profiles. I have
occasionally had to talk Windows NT administrators out of creating
such an include statement. They wanted to get rid of the annoying
messages about files in use by another process.