ADSM-L

Point-In-Time-Restore

2001-03-26 03:39:17
Subject: Point-In-Time-Restore
From: Christoph Pilgram <Christoph.Pilgram AT BC.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:39:49 +0200
Hy all,

today again a question concerning Point-In-Time-Restore :

Following situation :

I did make backups of a node for more than half a year. Many files have
prduced versions on the backup-server, a lot of files did not because they
did not change since start of backup. My policy says it will keep 10
versions for lets say 3 month.

Now I start a full backup of the whole client. I produce a new version of
all files. For many of those files that had only produced one version up to
this date, the retention-period will cause this older version to be deleted.

Now I have to make a point-in-time restore to five days before. The old
version of some files is deleted (because of retention-period), the new (but
identical) file came later into the backup-server. Will my restore get this
file or will it be missed ??

This question came up because some people around me wanted to make a full
backup on a regular base.

Server : AIX 4.3.3   TSM 3.7.4
Clients : TSM 3.7

Can anybody give me an answer (otherwise I have to build up some
test-scenarios) ?

Thanks

Christoph