ADSM-L

Proposed ADSM/TSM configurations

2001-03-25 00:24:58
Subject: Proposed ADSM/TSM configurations
From: "Zosimo Noriega (ADNOC IS&T)" <znoriega AT ADNOC DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:25:19 +0400
Hello All,

Please provide me your suggestions and comments regarding my proposed
configurations.  Please help me.

I am planning to upgrade Adsm server both hardware and software due to
tremedous increase of a heterogeneous clients and the to upgrade ADSM
software into a latest version.  The estimated clients are about 90 nodes
for Windows platforms (NT/2000) with estimated capacity 1350GB and 30 nodes
for Unix platforms with estimated disk capacity 2500 GB.

We facing a lot of problems from the existing environment, so, we decided to
upgrade the system.  Please help me if my proposed configurations is fit
enough to meet the objectives.

But here first the details of a current configurations:

Hardware:
*       Compact Proliant 5500 (2 CPU, 256 RAM, 80 HD, 4 SCSI controllers)
*       Tape library ibm 3494/L10 with 4 drives (3590/B1A) and 2 drives
(3490/C2A)
        Note:
                The 4 drives (3590) were currently being used by the system
and the
                other 2 drives (3490) is setting idle in the ATLS.   The
ATLS with capacity of 2000 tapes
----
Software:
Software:
*       OS - NT4, SP5
*       Adsm server (3.1.0.2.40)
----
Adsm server configurations:
Adsm server configurations:
*       Db size = 15GB
*       Log size = 1GB
*       Backup disk storage = 20GB
*       Archive disk storage= 20GB
*       Two primary tape storage pools for backup and archive with 500 tapes
each.
*       The tapes size in ATLS is 25GB
        Note: We performed archive for selected server only to avoid running
outspace of the database. The offsite copy (copy storage pool) and HSM are
not implemented.

=====

My proposed configurations is to provide two servers, one for Windows and
one for UNIX platforms.  The ideas are to improve the performance and
productivity, to separate the adsm processes (windows and unix), to
implement the offsite backup, HSM for unix platforms, etc.

Here are the details of proposed configurations:

For Windows Platforms (with 90 clients with estimated disk space 1350GB):
----
Hardware:
Hardware:
*       Compact Proliant 5500 (2 CPU, 512 RAM, 70HD with Raid Support, 2
SCSI controllers, 30 size DLT tape)
*       Utilized the two drives (3490/C2A) that are currently idle in the
ATLS
----
Software:
Software:
*       OS = Windows NT/2000
*       *SM (latest version compliant to Windows 2000 platform)
----
Adsm/TSM Server Configurations:
Adsm/TSM Server Configurations:
*       Db size = 20GB
*       Log size = 2GB
*       Backup disk storage pool = 20GB
*       Archive disk storage pool = 20GB
*       Two primary storage pools for backup and archive with 200 tapes each
(25GB size each tape)
*       Two copy storage pools for offsite backup
*       Backup version (7 versions and 1 version for the deleted files)  and
we keep 60 days.
*       Archive (weekly (1 month retention), monthly (1 year retention) and
yearly with 60% of estimated disk space)

For UNIX Platforms (with 30 clients with estimated disk space 2500GB):
----
Hardware:
Hardware:
*       Compact Proliant 5500 (2 CPU, 512 RAM, 70HD with Raid Support, 4
SCSI controllers, 30 size DLT tape)
*       Utilized the four drives (3590/B1A) in ATLS 3494 that are currently
used by ADSM server.
----
Software:
Software:
*       OS = Windows NT/2000
*       *SM (latest version)
----
*SM Server Configurations:
*SM Server Configurations:
*       Db size = 30GB
*       Log size = 4GB
*       Backup disk storage pool = 20GB
*       Archive disk storage pool = 20GB
*       HSM (space migration) disk storage pool = 30GB
*       Three primary tape storage pools for backup, archive, and space
migration with 200 tapes each (25GB size each tape)
*       Three copy storage pools for offsite backup
*       Backup version (7 versions and 1 version for the deleted files)  and
we keep 60 days.
*       Archive (weekly (1 month retention), monthly (1 year retention) and
yearly with 60% of estimated disk space)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Zosi