ADSM-L

Re: Backupset restore

2001-03-23 15:05:31
Subject: Re: Backupset restore
From: Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:05:03 -0600
Kudos to you, Richard!  That is exactly what the problem was!  By indicating
binary prior to executing the get statement of the ftp, the files came down to
the LAN in a format NT could handle.

Thanks,

Cheri Howard
Lead Software Systems Analyst
920-730-4700, ext. 4166
cheri_howard AT aal DOT org

Aid Association for Lutherans (AAL)
4321 N. Ballard Road, Appleton, WI  54919-0001
http://www.aal.org

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Richard Sims |
|        |          <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> |
|        |                       |
|        |          03/22/2001   |
|        |          03:12 PM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                     |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Cheri Howard/AAL)                  |
  |       Subject:     Re: Backupset restore               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

> I created a backupset writing to a file device class, which generated 4
> files on my MVS system.  I can restore the backupset from the Server via
> the GUI with no problem.
>
> I then FTP'd the backupset files to my LAN and burned them onto CD.

Two things...
1. Your MVS system speaks EBCDIC and your Windows system speaks ASCII;
2. Was the FTP done in Binary mode?

I don't have an authoritative answer to your query, but you may be
running afoul of the two different cultures.  I suspect that the
backup set from the mainframe has to be maintained in bit-fidelity
for the backup set to be used at the PC, though I don't have the
experience to say exactly what must prevail.

  Richard Sims, BU