ADSM-L

Re: System Objects for Windows

2001-03-22 16:46:40
Subject: Re: System Objects for Windows
From: Andrew Pearce <apearce4 AT CSC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:44:57 +1000
Brenda,

The NT systemstate contains most (but not all of the same things that are
backed up by the TSM System Object), so in that respect it captures more
than whats held in ADMS.SYS
I know that the System Files component of the System State contains many of
the O.S related files for Windows 2000. This includes files that are held
in the WINNT directory. However,  I'm not sure if the System Files
component  includes the boot files that sit in the root for the drive
(boot.ini etc).
We backup the C drive anyway so even if the boot.ini, config.sys etc aren't
captured as part of the Windows 2000 System State backup, they get included
in the file system backups. I know that it's likely that we're
'double-dipping' some files but it's better than not getting them at all :
-). Our typical backup schedule works as follows:
1. Use the Windows 2000 Scheduler to trigger NTbackup to backup the System
1. Use the Windows 2000 Scheduler to trigger NTbackup to backup the System
State to a disk file. On a system without Active Directory the file size
isaorund 300mb. For a domain controller with would obviousl be bigger
depending upon the size of your AD.
2. After a reasonable time window (to allow NTbackup to do it's stuff), do
a TSM backup of C drive , System Object plus any other drives you need. The
file created as by NTbackup is then backed up at this point.

Other than using NTbackup the only other way that I thought that you could
get around this problem would be to rename the System Object filespace on
the TSM server to correspond with the backup date (or someother unique
name). That way it would always remain active. Then if you need to restore
it, you just need to reamne it again before starting the recvoery process.
However, I haven't had anytime to reseach this, so I don;t know how
'doable' this is.

The Ntbackup method seemed to be the quicked way to acheive a result,
although probably not the cleanest.

Andrew Pearce
BHP Server Engineering, CSC Australia
PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502
email: apearce4 AT csc.com DOT au
Tel: 0242 75 7135
Fax: 0242 75 7923

                    "Collins, Brenda"
                    <Brenda.Collins@WEST        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    GROUP.COM>                  cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist        Subject:     Re: System Objects
for Windows
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    23/03/2001 01:53 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback.  I looked at this once and I believe it does
the
same thing the adsm.sys file does in terms of what it captures.  What do
you
do about the boot.ini, config.sys, ntldr, etc. that you might want multiple
copies of?  They don't get put into the system objects stored in adsm.sys,
are they kept with the NT backup?

Brenda