ADSM-L

Re: Backupset restore

2001-03-22 15:19:55
Subject: Re: Backupset restore
From: Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:19:06 -0600
Thanks for the suggestion, Phillip, but that didn't work either.  I copied the
backupset from the CD to local disk and specified the local disk as the location
for the backupset, and still receive the same error.  Has anyone else had this
problem?  Any ideas on how to resolve?  Thanks,

Cheri Howard
Lead Software Systems Analyst
920-730-4700, ext. 4166
cheri_howard AT aal DOT org

Aid Association for Lutherans (AAL)
4321 N. Ballard Road, Appleton, WI  54919-0001
http://www.aal.org

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Phillip Guan |
|        |          <pguan@SANSIA|
|        |          .NET>        |
|        |                       |
|        |          03/22/2001   |
|        |          11:54 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          pguan        |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                     |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Cheri Howard/AAL)                  |
  |       Subject:     Re: Backupset restore               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Cheri,

Have you tried to copy the file from the burned CD to local disk and then
restore from there? How do you create the CD - with session open/close
session/...? It may make things complicated.
I met this message before when I tried to restore a backupset from tape
drive while server and client were on the same machine, and it was solved by
creating a FILE device class' backupset.

Following are some other cases which gets the same error message. FYI.

Regards,
Phillip

------
------
IC27617->CUSTOMER UNABLE TO RESTORE BACKUPSET TO LOCAL CLIENT WITH TSM
IC27617->CUSTOMER UNABLE TO RESTORE BACKUPSET TO LOCAL CLIENT WITH TSM
CLIENT 3.7.2 ON NT IF THE BACKUPSET SPANS A VOLUME.

IC27809->UNABLE TO RESTORE INDIVIDUAL FILES IN BACKUPSET VIA B/A GUI.

IC29680-> WHEN A NODE IS RENAMED ON THE SERVER, ANY BACKUPSETS GENERATED
FOR IT CAN'T BE RESTORED EVEN THOUGH IT REPORTS SUCCESSFUL.

IC29472->DOC NEEDS TO BE UPDATED FOR RESTORING BACKUPSETS USING THE NATIVE
NT DEVICE DRIVER TO REFLECT DEVICE NAME OF \\.\TAPEX .

IC25937->QUERY BACKUPSET AND RESTORE BACKUPSET EXAMPLES SHOW THE -LOC
OPTION WITH INCORRECT SYNTAX.
ERROR DESCRIPTION:
The books Tivoli Storage manager Using the Backup Archive-Client
for windows and unix have incorrect syntax in the examples for
for windows and unix have incorrect syntax in the examples for
the backupset commands.
In the Unix book we have examples for restore backupset and
query backupset that use the paramater " -loc=/dev/rmt0 "
-loc can only take 'server', 'file', or 'tape'.
In the Windows book query backupset has the location parameter
In the Windows book query backupset has the location parameter
taking g:\weeklydata.set as an argument.  It can only take
'server' and 'file'.

LOCAL FIX:
Use the syntax from typing help from the tsm command line.
Examples of correct syntax:
query backupset "mybackupsetname" -loc=server
query backupset /dev/rmt0 -loc=tape

IC27164 -> RESTORE BACKUPSET WILL NOT WORK FROM THE WIN32 GUI IF THE  TSM
SERVER IS NOT REACHABLE.  TCP/IP FAILURE.