ADSM-L

WinNT Client Upgrade - Overwrite or Uninstall/Reinstall

2001-03-22 08:31:17
Subject: WinNT Client Upgrade - Overwrite or Uninstall/Reinstall
From: Scott Behrens <behrens-2 AT MEDCTR.OSU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:31:31 -0500
Please excuse if this is obvious - several archive searches turned up
nothing, and I didn't see a reference in Richard Sims' Quick Facts.

Relevant Installation Info:
  TSM Server 4.1.1.0 on AIX 4.3.3
   WinNT Clients:  TSM Client 4.1.1.0  on Intel NT 4.0 SP5 or SP6

Goal:  Upgrade of WinNT TSM Clients from 4.1.1.0 to 4.1.2.12
  to handle DST problem before April 1 (avoiding 4.1.1.16  because
  of potential memory-leak problem (IC28969))

If I install the 4.1.2.12 client over the top of the existing 4.1.1.0 client,
then I end up with two 'Tivoli Storage Manager Client' entries in the
'Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs' (and duplicate entries for the
two installed products in the Registry as might be expected).

The 'Installing the Clients' manual, Version 4.1, Chapter 4. has a
section, 'Reinstalling the Client' , which implies that if you are installing
to the same location, you can just install over the top of the previous
version with no uninstall required.  I want to provide our NT sysadmins
a straight-forward procedure for doing this upgrade, and don't know
whether to suggest an uninstall-reinstall (ensuring that they have
a backup of the dsm.opt and dsmsched.log), or just have them
do an install over the top of the existing client (and put the footnote
about the duplicate registry entries in the 'Book of Who Cares'.)
Any thoughts on best practices?  Thanks,  Scott Behrens