ADSM-L

Re: Policy talk

2001-03-21 07:44:00
Subject: Re: Policy talk
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 06:43:50 -0600
OK backups are kept by versions & versions alone !
if you keep 30 versions and the data changes daily, on the 31st day the 1st
copy goes away !
Copy pools only copy what is in the primary pool, when it expires from the
primary pool, so goes the copypool copy.
If people really want data for a year, tell them to archive it into a 365
day retention archive management class...
Here at a shop with 105 TB of dasd across ALL our different servers managed
by ADSM/TSM we've been running with
ve 7
vd 3
rev 35
rov 95
with a 35 day grace period (that never comes into play)
for about 5 & 1/2 years now and every thing is just fine :-)
Yes, I have long term archive management classes for them to save stuff in
(all the way up to 10 years)
but if it is easy for them to just have something default to being kept 10
years, believe me EVERYTHING will be kept for 10 years, which includes
pictures of the grandkids...

So make a management class, with no backup copy group and call it something
like "offsite10yrarchive" and have everything put in there either go offsite
directly OR leave one copy in your atl and make a copy stgpool and take the
copy offsite...
I like to always leave a copy locally
Always take a dbbackup with any offsite data and keep them together with a
list of volsers and what is what (or at least which one is the dbbackup)

Dwight