ADSM-L

Re: SAP and 3494 performance.

2001-03-20 14:04:11
Subject: Re: SAP and 3494 performance.
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:02:21 -0600
Our client is a Sun E10K with ?24 processors? maybe more if that is
possible... it has a bunch
And we have other AIX & SUN...

Tsm server is an S70 and runs less than 30% cpu util during the backups...

Here is the poop on multiplexing...(check in your TDP for SAPR3 manual)
mainly if you are going straight to tape 'cause each session will require a
tape drive.
By going to a diskpool, you aren't limited by the number of tape drives you
have...
BUT remember there will only be a single migration process for a single
client's data within a diskpool no matter what your migration process limit
is or how many tape drives you have... and a single migration going to
3590B1A (what I see) averages out to be just over 20 GB/hr... so I can load
up my diskpool with 600 GB at 41 GB/hr  but can only empty it at 20 GB/hr
:-(
I'm looking into having the client use two management classes, direct it to
two different diskpools (say 10 processes dumping into each diskpool) then
their total rate into the tsm server will be 41 GB/hr, the limit of the fast
ethernet card, AND I'll be able to bleed the data off to tape at 40 GB/hr (a
migration process for each diskpool with each migration process moving 20
GB/hr)  Now maybe if I'd upgrade the B1A's to E1A's I could get about 35
GB/hr average on the migration but I don't know...
Anyway, also if one of your multiplexed files goes bad then you have
multiple .dbf files bad and makes a recovery a little harder...  just the
way we do it.

Dwight