ADSM-L

Re: SAP and 3494 performance.

2001-03-20 11:05:04
Subject: Re: SAP and 3494 performance.
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:05:33 -0700
        OK, I'll bite. We don't use the TDB client, we use home grown
scripts that use the standard TSM archive client, but I believe the
bottleneck in your case was the same as mine.

        The bottleneck in your scenario is the 100Mb Ethernet interface. In
our testing, we find that a TSM session can sustain a throughput of about 11
MB/sec (which equates to about 88 Mb/sec). That is about 88% data and the
TCP/IP overhead. That's about as good as it gets, from my understanding.

        Doing the math on that figure, (11MB/sec X 60sec X 60min)=
40GB/hour. It looks like a 350GB database would be able to move in about
8.75 hours. Obviously, with the compression on the client turned on, you are
actually moving less data over the wire and are achieving a better
throughput at 6 hours for your backup.

        So, if you have one 100Mb interface on your SAP client, you can
start multiple client sessions and you probably still won't see any
improvement because the card is maxed out.

        We were up against the same wall and ended up putting GB Ethernet
cards (and switches, etc) on both the TSM server and select clients. The
improvement in speeds were anywhere from 2X to 4X depending on the client.
On some overtaxed clients, it moved the bottleneck to their slower disks or
CPU. In a few cases, the 3590E drives became the bottleneck, but we just put
the 'resourceutilization' to a higher value to multi-thread the client to
multiple tape drives. Not sure how you multi-thread the TSM for SAP agent,
but I believe it is possible.

        Hope that helps.

Ben Bullock
UNIX Systems Manager