ADSM-L

TDP for Exchange - Is this normal?

2001-03-19 10:52:56
Subject: TDP for Exchange - Is this normal?
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:53:28 -0500
Hi TSMers,

We recently switched from Seagate Backupexec to TDP for Exchange.
Backup and restore with Backupexec of our 25G Exchange database took about
3 hours.  With TDP for Exchange, backup takes 1 hour and restore takes 3 hours.
We are happy with the faster backup but are wondering why restore
is 3 times longer.  Granted that writing to RAID5 is slower than
reading from it, but can it be 3 times slower?  Is this normal?

Support told me to try several TCP options in the server and client, but they
don't make a difference.  Then he suggested that the problem must be in our
network - but going one way and not the other????

server:
tcpwindowsize=63
tcpbufsize=31

client:
tcpwindowsize=63
tcpbufsize=31
tcpnodelay=yes
largecommbuffer=yes

server: TSM 4.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3
client: TDP for Exchange 1.1.1.01 on NT 4.0 SP4

Thanks in advance.
Eliza

Eliza Lau
Eliza Lau