ADSM-L

Re: Hard Disk Recovery

2001-03-16 13:45:32
Subject: Re: Hard Disk Recovery
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:43:25 -0600
As Richard has indicated, giving the drive a good twist does work, sometimes,
it worked for us. Also, if it is an SSA disk you might want to pursue replacing
the SSA controller. We had a disk fail and by tearing apart two SSA modules
(model 020), we put the 'bad' drive in the others module and it worked!

BTW: I heard of the freezer thing, the cold is suppose to condense the bearings
making it spin easier.

miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> cody AT UWINDSOR DOT CA 16-Mar-01 11:22:08 AM >>>
>>> cody AT UWINDSOR DOT CA 16-Mar-01 11:22:08 AM >>>
     Hi all. I am attempting to recover a hard disk for a friend. The disk
crashed a few days, and ... they thought they had backups ... their vendor
told them "no problem, we will backup the data" ... and guess what ... it
wasn't backed up. They had a half-$#@ system of backups and lost some
important data. Like MANY other out there she was relying on a Vendor, not
a storage professional, to backup her data. Anyway, enough with my bitching
... to the point. I recall reading that in order to recover data of a hard
disk that will not spin up you can rap it in plastic, throw it in the
freezer for an hour or so, and then it should spin up when attached to your
machine ... for a limited amount of time allowing you to retrieve the data
off the hard disk. Am I correct in my presumption? Am I missing anything?

Cody Cauchi,  Systems Programmer, ITS
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, Ontario