ADSM-L

Re: Hard Disk Recovery

2001-03-16 13:14:18
Subject: Re: Hard Disk Recovery
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:14:52 -0500
>I recall reading that in order to recover data of a hard
>disk that will not spin up you can rap it in plastic, throw it in the
>freezer for an hour or so, and then it should spin up when attached to your
>machine ... for a limited amount of time allowing you to retrieve the data
>off the hard disk. Am I correct in my presumption? Am I missing anything?

Cody - I once had to deal with an external disk with such a problem:
       "sticktion"... static friction, in that the bearings lubrication was
about gone.  I applied my physics training regarding inertia:
Holding the disk in my hands with power applied, I gave the case a sudden
twist around the rotation center of the spindle and thus broke the hold
of the friction and got it spinning.  That is, the case rotated momentarily
while the platter assembly, through inertia, remained stationary - the
moral equivalent of the disk starting to spin.  Then, without delay, I
copied off the viable data.

   Richard Sims, BU

"Think different."  - Apple