ADSM-L

Re: AIX client dumping core during backup

2001-03-14 12:47:48
Subject: Re: AIX client dumping core during backup
From: Andrea Campi <a.campi AT INET DOT IT>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:47:35 +0000
On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 12:15:00PM -0500, David Longo wrote:
> The shadow passwd file on AIX is /etc/security/passwd.  I would check all the
> permissions etc. on this file with some of my other AIX clients and see if
> there is any variance.
>
> I am not aware of *SM doing any checks on files other than - can the user
> doing backups access that file and is it newer than the one laready backed ,
> etc.  However maybe it does do something.
>
> Try excluding this file or the /etc/security directory - Exclude
> /etc/security/*
> and see if problem still happens.  Does the sched log show what
> file/filesystem was being backed up when failure occurs?
>
> A few thoughts.....

Well, running the backup as root so of course no problems with permissions and
reading /etc/security/passwd. Also, the fs it fails on is /home, so no point
even in excluding /etc/security/*.

I even went as far as thinking about deleting the filespace on TSM, but after
seeing it fail on another TSM server it had never backed up to previously I'm
not convinced it would make any difference...

--
Andrea Campi                              mailto:a.campi AT inet DOT it
Andrea Campi                              mailto:a.campi AT inet DOT it