ADSM-L

Re: SQL-Backtrack OBSI Module (via TSM API) for Oracle -versus- TSM TDP for Oracle

2001-03-12 15:44:53
Subject: Re: SQL-Backtrack OBSI Module (via TSM API) for Oracle -versus- TSM TDP for Oracle
From: Allen Barth <allen_barth AT SCUDDER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:44:06 -0600
Hi all

We've been using SQL-Backtrack for Sybase and Oracle for 4+ years.  And
recently:
Upgrading the obsi to v2.5 yielded a non functioning system.  BMC
personnel, after spending 3 days trying to dial into our system (got warm
fuzzies just with that alone) did manage to get their stuff to work BUT....

They don't seem to be able to support PASSWORDACCESS Generate

They strongly felt they needed to create a new client node to contain the
backtrack info and were unable to use the nodename (hostname) of the
machine from where the databases reside.  Further they didn't understand
the impact  of a nodename change (we use colocation, and they wouldn't be
able to restore any old SQL backups)

They claim they don't support TSM4.1.2

They could not understand what client option sets were

They want us to change ownership of the generated password file away from
root to they could read it.

Calls to support are indeed frustrating.  Where it my choice, I'd  move to
another method ASAP.

Al Barth

                    "Mark A. Adams"
                    <mark_adams@CSGSY        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    STEMS.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: SQL-Backtrack
OBSI Module (via TSM API) for Oracle
                    Dist Stor                -versus- TSM TDP for Oracle
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    .EDU>

                    03/12/01 10:38 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

We have been using SQL-Backtrack for 3 years now.
We like it very well. Yes, it will do hot backups.
SQL-Backtrack backs up directly to TSM using the API interface.