ADSM-L

Re: label libvol how change overwrite=n to yes

2001-03-09 22:35:42
Subject: Re: label libvol how change overwrite=n to yes
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 22:35:47 -0500
Depends on how you labeled and checked in tapes.  Be careful with
overwrite=yes, you can overwrite tapes with data on them -yes!  I prefer using
overwrite=yes when checking from bulk i/o, with: search=bulk option.

Do a q vol on the tapes you labeled and see if anything shows up.  Do a q
libvol and see if they are in list.  If they are not used for data by now, then
the way I handle this is to checkout the tapes and then do:

label libvol lib_name search=bulk labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
overwrite=yes

This will relabel tapes.  I have had a few that got mislabeled (label on tape
didn't match barcode - this solved it.  Also had a few tapes that got
read/write errors at very beginning of tape, solved that too.

Depends on what type of library you have too as to how to label, if you don't
have bulk I/O station.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Peter.K.Glass AT WELLSFARGO DOT COM 03/09/01 06:41PM >>>
After issuing a label libvol command to a series of tapes, I discovered I
forgot to use the overwrite=yes option, which was necessary in this case.
The default is overwrite=no. I tried the label libvol command again, with
overwrite=yes, but the log says that 0 tapes were labelled.
Does anybody know how I can change this setting to overwrite=y? These tapes
will be unusable unless this overwrite option is changed to yes. I am unable
to find any procedure in the TSM Admin Guide on how to do this.
Thanks, in advance.

Peter Glass
Distributed Storage Management (DSM)
Wells Fargo Services Company
> * 612-667-0086  * 866-249-8568
> * peter.k.glass AT wellsfargo DOT com

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/09/01 22:42:01
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.